Job Position: Director of Marketing
Foursided is a small business with 4 locations in Chicago and an online store. We have been in business for 20 years and are committed to bringing art and imagination to life while providing opportunity for local and regional artists and makers. This position is responsible for leading the marketing, graphic design and communications for Foursided. You will execute the marketing plan, develop new strategies that can be weaved into Foursided's existing plans, which includes art direction, graphic design, content for digital, print and social media.Your focus would be on marketing and designing for both custom picture framing, art, gifts, and vintage.
- Maintain the marketing strategy and operations and execution calendar for the year, reflecting holiday events in coordinate with the webstore manager and retail store managers.
- The strategic plan you are responsible for includes location specific events, seasonal promotions, social media, multi-channel campaigns (email, website, socials, text/mobile, blog, in-store signage, and external advertising).
- Ensure the art direction and visual marketing is consistent, cohesive, clever and memorable in all content, across all channels and store locations.
- Manage external advertising relationships - historically focused on local publications and CTA, Billboards, Chicago Public Radio and more recently digital advertising (Meta, IG, Pinterest etc) which will become more and more important for our business
- Identify and support public relations that promote Foursided's brand (e.g. an interview with a local network, a quote for a newspaper, or a partnership with an influencer, etc.)
- Drive best in class initiatives that reflect the neighborhoods we work and live in (support for a pet adoption event, or neighborhood trick or treat, or art show, etc).
- Lead and manage all marketing projects and retain documentation for each project in Google Workspace.
- Manage overall social media strategy on a daily basis - Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, etc. Accelerate adoption of new channels, Tik-Tok, etc, where appropriate. Respond to and triage inquiries/DMs each day to ensure customer questions through social media are answered, customers post are reposted, as well as update business profiles seasonally. Actual IG/FB posts managed by each store. Reposts and customer inquiries managed by you as the marketing director.
- Design and distribute email campaigns and continue to modernize them in order to elevate our brand. Reflect on campaigns from prior years, while also working with store managers to understand products trending and with web manager to understand top searches on our webstte. Currently use Klayvio for emails, but open to moving back to Mail Chimp or another program.
- Collaborate with the E-Commerce Manager to ensure the website and social media platforms are constantly evolving and up to date withf-seasonal photos and blogs; and that marketing campaigns reflect web store products that are in stock.
- Visit each location weekly and maintain relationships and communications with the store managers on events, emails, etc.
- Partner with the chamber of commerces and neighboring businesses (Lakeview East, Andersonville, and Uptown) on upcoming events and provide feedback representing Foursided.
- Manage advertising, influencer, charitable event organizers, printing, and other partner relationships.
- Understand and apply brand guidelines to existing content and new materials as they arise. No changes are planned to our visual identity or aesthetics.
- Recommend new ideas that will create a stronger brand connection between Foursided and the diversity of our customers.
- Review campaign analytics, website analytics, and Google and other customer review data to identify improvement and communication areas to better meet our customer's needs. Review online advertising analytics and event results to identify ROI.
- Analyze performance across channels and make recommendations to changes in strategy and approach as necessary. Review best in class competitors marketing to ensure Foursided is differentiated and stays ahead.
- Maintain and update all shared project management tools (Google Workspace, Monday, Operations/Marketing Calendar of Events and Deadlines). Operations calendar is updated by store leadership in collaboration with others and for review by Marketing Director.
- Coordinate periodic photo shoots (typically once per year in August) ib advance of development of holiday marketing campaigns. Coordinate periodic video shoots for building social media content.
- Two to three years’ experience in marketing, graphic design, and/or communications; ideally for a small business or start up.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in graphic design, art direction, marketing, PR, communications or a related field
- Expertise using Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, etc.
- Prior experience with managing social media platforms and with using email platforms (Klaviyo, Mailchimp), Shopify eCommerce, HTML, etc.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills
- Agility juggling multiple projects, while working through feedback and changes from others
- Strong writing, proofreading and editing skills
- Ability to think critically
- Strong project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work across the organization
- Job Type: Full-time; Foursided is a retail business, open 7 days a week, except major holidays. Our busiest months of the year are December and November.
Pay & BEnefits
Competitive Base Salary and Performance Based Bonus, Subsidized Medical and Dental Insurance, Paid Time Off, Volunteer Day, Juneteenth Holiday, Retirement Savings Plan with Match, and Employee Discount.
- Dental & Health Insurance
- Employee discount
- Paid time off
- IRA Retirement plan
- Retirement plan matching
There is flexibility in your hours, however generally core hours are ~10am to 6pm Monday through Friday with flexibility needed for a once month manager meeting after 6pm. Foursided requires periodic hours of evening or weekend support to collaborate with other managers, such as a 1 hour monthly evening manager meeting, a 1 hour weekly/biweekly web/marketing meeting, as well as support periodic pre-scheduled weekend customer events (e.g. evening wine walk, late night shopping in December), texts and emails to work through feedback and comments when there is a tight deadline for delivering a marketing promotion.
A shared work space is available at either 2956 N Clark or 5061 N Clark with at least 1x per week visits to other locations in Lakeview and Andersonville.